Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Psalm 24

My response to Psalm 24, our morning reading assignment at Re:Train.

Father thank you for sending the Son. As I look at today's reading assignment, it really brought to life the reality of Christ's atoning work on the cross. I find it very easy to remain stuck in my sin, to allow feelings of 'I'll never be good enough' to leave me stuck in place and unable to be in the Father's presence.

What I think I'm loving about this Psalm (and noticing for the first time) is that in part one, David is lamenting that he may NOT ascend the hill of the Lord. After all, who does have clean hands, who has a pure heart and who never swears deceitfully? Certainly not me, and if you're reading this I have to assume you are human and therefore, not you either. These questions are not literally looking for the guy in Israel who actually can ascend the hill of the Lord. These questions are rhetorical and lamenting the fact that there is NO ONE in Israel or really in all the world who can stand in the presence of God the Father on his/her own merit.

Where many of us would leave off in despair, David responds with the hope of the coming Saviour - the King of Glory! You and I have the blessing of history, David didn't have it, he had the hope of what was to come. But for me, as I look back, I can see that Jesus is the fulfillment of the hope that David is declaring. Jesus can ascend the hill of the LORD!

And Jesus invites you and I into relationship with him so that he may apply his righteousness to us as well. As I ponder this thought I realized something - something that I've known in my head for a LONG time - I can do NOTHING to earn enough to get me into the presence of the Father. Where I suppose I could despair over this, I realize that their is tremendous freedom in this realization. When I trust Christ for my right standing before the Father, it has nothing to do with what I do or more importantly, what I have done. Because Jesus lives in me, God looks on me and sees, not my rags and soiled garments, but the cleanliness and purity of Jesus. THANK YOU JESUS!

There are implications for this. Because we can do nothing to gain favour with God, we can do nothing to maintain favour with God. Our nature will always be oriented to rebellion against God and therefore we will never 'get over' our need for Jesus' righteousness over us. The way I live should change though, because of gratitude, not because of duty. I do good works as a response to the work of Jesus in my life. I love people because He first loved me, I make Him known because He is the most important part of my life.

Father, thank you for sending your Son to come to earth to live a perfect life, die my death and be raised, defeating the power of death, therefore making a way for me, a broken, hurting, sinful human, to be in relationship with you. Jesus, thank you that you did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but willingly traded your kingship for a life on this earth where you would never be recognized for all that you are. And Holy Spirit, thank you that you make this known to my heart, that you convict me of the times where I am rebelling and that you lead me in the paths of righteousness.

Now, everything must change.

1 comment:

Brad, Colleen, Carlon, Noah, Iain Reid said...

I'm no theological fanatic but that sounds pretty bang on to me. I don't know what would need clarification. It sounds more like you got the deeper clarification you needed. Blessings Tim.