Monday, August 23, 2010

Home, and not sure I’m lovin’ it.

Well, I mean, I am lovin' it, I love my family and I'm really glad to be home with them. But I would be just as happy to be in Guatemala with them. I think I'm really struggling now with what to do now that we're home. Magdalena was truly a life changing experience.

I know it's only been two days since I've been home… and that my body is definitely not adjusting well to the food at home… and I realize that probably a lot of people wrestle with this stuff when they get home from a developing country as well, but I really miss it. I miss the simplicity, the idea that you can talk to people and it matters big time. I miss that I walked everywhere. I miss not looking around EVERYWHERE and seeing excess – and I mean, I am so guilty of it too, but there is just SO MUCH here! Even the poorest of the poor among us can at least find a water fountain and drink clean water!

Keep in mind that there are likely useless meanderings and that I will say some things that easily fit the title. I'm not renouncing the first world and all its comforts. I just want to know how to bring those to the people I met.

I think what I miss the most if the people's simple faith in God. They have nothing else to have faith in! There is no medical system that will help them, there is no welfare, there is only God. And realistically, for us too. But we hide behind all the things we have. God is often our last resort here. It's like, 'you're sick, let's go to the Doctor.' I appreciate Doctors, I love that we have health care so readily available. It's just that I think it's made us spiritually lazy. If we could figure out how to go to the Doctor for physical health and somehow grow our spiritual health, we would be so much better off!

If you are a pray-er, pray for me. I think God has a job for me to do here right now for Guatemala, and I need to discover it. They told us to expect to feel like I am now, but I didn't. I am sad to be home and trying to figure out how to get my whole family down there next year… or permanently?

No comments: